Install a Security System?

Would it be good for me to install a security system on FydeOS (or Chromium/Chrome OS in general), or is the included security enough?

It’s secure enough for me, but I am not sure of your definition of “security”. You can’t install an operating system “on” another operating system. If you don’t trust FydeOS, feel free to try other operating systems instead.

We’re talking about two different things! By “security system”, I mean Norton, McAfee, Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, etc. Not another operating system.

So you mean antivirus & anti-malware “software”, then you don’t need to install this kind of software.

I’m not looking for a simple yes-or-no answer. I know some people use third party security software on Chromium OS distributions (such as Fyde OS and Chrome OS), and some don’t. I’d like to know the benefits and drawbacks to using third-party security software, people’s reasons for using or not using such software, so I can decide for myself if I should use it on my computer.

Then you can google more information if you want to decide by yourself, such as:

You want to decide by yourself, you should search it by yourself. There are lots of articles about this topic. You ask a question and request others to write an article for you. It’s unreasonable. Hope this would help you: https://github.com/selfteaching/How-To-Ask-Questions-The-Smart-Way/blob/master/How-To-Ask-Questions-The-Smart-Way.md#before-you-ask

No, I do not request that! I request opinions and insight, nothing more.

Articles on the Internet are useful; I’ve already read some articles about security systems on Chrome OS (not that I don’t appreciate links to good articles). But sometimes, there’s no substitute for a talk on a good forum! Educating yourself isn’t just about reading articles, it’s also about talking to people.

Security is by far the most important fundamental design pillars for Chromium OS. Chromium OS and all derivatives including Chrome OS and FydeOS are by design, in a nutshell, “read-only” operating systems. This means (under normal circumstance) it’s impossible to access the root filesystems, let alone executing harmful scripts or malicious programs. This is pretty much as secure as it can get on an operating system’s perspective. This design does come with consequences, many people refer Chrome OS as the “walled garden” exactly because of this. When you “install” an app on FydeOS, it is actually installed onto the subsystems, in either a container or a virtual machine, which are carefully sandboxed to isolate from the host system; this setup will introduce performance penalties.

However, you did mention “security system”, as of today it means much more than just antivirus software. When we talk about internet security, you are actually more vulnerable to phishing, social engineering and simply wire fraud; also passive threats like one of the internet services you used got hacked and your usual password being exposed. To avoid being a victim on these, there are certain tools can help you (for example, password manager, phishing sites warning extensions etc.) but ultimately, improving your own security awareness would be the best resolution.

I have all of that, along with an adblocker. In my opinion, an adblocker is the most important security software: Online advertisements, even on otherwise legitimate websites, are full of malware and scams. Blocking JavaScript by default (i.e. making it so a website needs your permission to JavaScript) is also a good security measure.

Maybe an online ad will have a much harder time hacking a Chromium OS computer than a Windows computer. But there’s no point in taking chances, better to just block them.

Agreed! The best security measure is your own brain and your good judgment. Not that that’s mutually exclusive with good security software.

This discussion has been about Chromium OS, but what about the Android and Linux subsystems? Wouldn’t those have vastly different security considerations than the underlining Chromium OS system?

Mind you, I use FydeOS more as an Android distribution than as a Chromium OS distribution. So the security of the Android subsystem is especially important to me!

I think you don’t need any antivirus for Android, if you install the Play store and let it scan for security threats that should be enough. As for Linux, depending on how you are using it, you can always try Clamtk (anti-malware) and scan the (Linux) filesystem from time to time